On this page we will look back at life in the city during the war years. Here we will provide the visitor with the stories making the news, what was happening in sports and entertainment, city politics, the social scene and the prominent people at the time. We will also recount the events occurring in the war on that day. So, check back each day for new editions.

To share your family or neighborhood stories, please email PhillyWWIyears@gmail.com


There is more snow in the forecast for tonight with rain on Friday. Today’s high will be around 38° with the overnight low near 18°. Skating is permitted today on Hunting Park Lake where the ice is measured at just over 2 inches thick. The Fairmount Park service announced that if the cold weather continues skating will be permitted on Concourse, Centennial and Gustine Lakes.

William Kinee and his wife Eliza were planning on their 51st Christmas together. They had come to America from Ireland years ago in search of a better life. They fared well and had 6 children. But Eliza, 70 years old, was just not strong enough to hold onto life any longer and died on Tuesday. William took the money he had saved to buy the woman he had loved for so long a Christmas gift and instead used it for a fine funeral carriage. However the loss of his wife was too much for him and he died within 24 hours of her. Now they will both be carried in that funeral carriage from their modest home at 1548 South Water Street to their final resting place, still to spend Christmas together.

Judge William Staake of the License Court has been petitioned to issue an order to close all bars and saloons on New Year’s Eve at midnight. The request is made by the Anti-Saloon League. If the Judge complies with the request it will be the first time such an action has occurred. The only previous times when the city saloons have been closed on New Year’s Eve is when the day fell on Sundays. As a judge of the License Court, Judge Staake does have the power to issue such an order.

A snarling barking bulldog ran through the neighborhood of 20th & Locust Street last night and bit 5 men and 4 young boys before being shot and killed by policeman Arthur Jones. The dog’s head has been sent to the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School for examination for rabies. The children were attacked as they were sledding. They mistakenly thought the dog wanted to play with them and did not run away until it was too late. The men, including Officer Jones, were all bitten as they attempted to catch the animal alive. It was when the dog started after an 2nd group of children that Jones drew his pistol and fired.

In sports an interesting meeting and exhibition will take place tonight at the Central Y.M.C.A., 1425 Arch Street. Members of the high school football teams from Central High, Southern High and Brown Preparatory are invited to watch an exhibition of indoor football. This innovation is being presented to the schools’ teams and their coaches to inspire interest in this new form of the game.